Sharing is caring!
No body knows it, but the avocado has a nutritious secret. Next time you open up an avocado to make yourself a good old guacamole or a currently trendy fancy avocado toast, and you are about to throw out the seed, stop for a second and think it twice amigo.
It happens that the seed is actually the most nutrient dense part of an avocado. It holds 70 percent of the avocado’s antioxidants, including the well-respected polyphenols associated with green tea. This helps to regulate intestinal function and it has even been shown that it helps to prevent tumor growth. On top, the seed are packed with soluble fiber.
So next time instead of tossing the seed out, keep them until you have several, and do the following:
1. With your hands peel of the skin of the seed. While you are at it, pre heat your oven at 120.C, so that when you are done peeling, you can put the seeds in a baking recipient.
2. Put the baking recipient in the oven between 1 and 2 hours. You will know they are ready when they acquire a brown sort of like an intense sun tan color.
3. Now put them in a cutting board and with a big knife, cut them first in half and then into tiny pieces.
4. Once they are all cut into small pieces, put them in a coffee grinder or other type of grinder that can turn those pieces into almost powder.
5. Last, store the avocado seed powder in a glass jar ( of course you can store it in other recipient, but glass jars are just cooler).
Now, how can you consume it? Well this is where you have to get creative. You could give it many uses. One of the most obvious would be to complement a green smoothie with a spoon of avocado seed powder. Like this one:
Avocado Seed Green Goddess Smoothie
- 1 cup nut milk or water
- 1 ripe pear
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- ½ Hass avocado
- ½ Hass avocado seed
- Small piece ginger grated
- ½ apple
We hope you enjoy this power food tip. If you have any ideas, questions or suggestions, let us know.
Post and photos by: Mauricio Díaz Arellano